Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 14- Favorite quote(s)

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." - Jorge Luis Borges

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecclesiasties 12:12


As you can see, I have two that come directly to mind. The first was written on the wall of a library I visited. I know nothing of the author, but I'm inclined to agree that there must be a libraryish part of heaven...

The second is Biblical! My younger sister had no qualms about pointing it out and quoting it whenever schoolwork became too much for her. Right there in the Bible. Too much study is bad for you. :-P
Of course, that's not exactly what Solomon is saying there...
Rather (as I read it), all earthly pursuits are worth less than dust. Only that which serves God is worth anything, and even then it is God working through us that gives it worth.
I seem to be drawn to The Great Divorce (C. S. Lewis) quite a bit today. Specifically the spirit who thought all his earthly talents would be "needed" in heaven, and thought himself a great Tool For God, when in reality none of it was needed or wanted. God was sufficient for all, and there was nothing he could add to make Heaven better.

Not quite sure where I'm intending to go with this... I think what I've said is sufficient. It is up to the reader to remember that apart from God, life isn't worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment