Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 6- Writer's Bucket List

I don't have an official "Bucket List", myself. This spring I accomplished something I'd wanted to do since I was an elementary schooler- Perform at a particular local theatre. I look at it and say "Even if I never do it again, I've done it. I got a part, rehearsed like crazy, overcame my fear of the set, and did 8 shows."

Another was to go to Ballet Magnificat!'s summer program (no, that's not a typo). I did that a few years ago, and taking classes from dancers I've so looked up to was surreal and amazing.

Yet another point which proves I am not a Writer.

But there are two places I'd like to visit, which loosely have to do with writing.

The Kilns

The home of C. S. Lewis, one of my favorite authors, has been a goal of mine ever since I learned I could visit it. Actually, this outing encompasses all his homes, plus Cambridge and Oxford, if I'm to be totally truthful. ;-)

Trinity College, Dublin

This is the place wherein resides the famed Book of Kells, an illuminated manuscript that is a glorious example of the hard work and artistry Irish monks put into their scribal tasks. It's also a reminder of a little known fact. The Irish scribes saved civilization.
That may be a slight exaggeration, but if you study the era you'll find that about the time that all the classical Greek and Roman works were being destroyed in their own countries, Ireland was cut off from invasion by a natural disaster (wish I could remember what). Therefore, their copies of Homer, Aristotle, etc. survived and were copied, while many of the copies in Rome and Greece were lost.

For reference (and a much better explanation) look up "How the Irish Saved Civilization" by Thomas Cahill. http://www.randomhouse.com/features/cahill/irish.html 

Now I must be off to visit some out-of-town family. Pray for the energy I need for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment